A brief description of the profession / competence
In Sweden there are requirements for mandatory control of ventilation systems. The building owner is responsible for checking. The inspection must be performed by a certified function inspector.
The function inspector performs functional control of the ventilation system and / or the checks needed to verify society's requirements for satisfactory indoor climate.
Certification may be provided for
- N Competence: All buildings with S-, F- and FX-ventilation as well as single- and two-dwelling houses with FT- and FTX-ventilation.
- K Competence: All types of ventilation systems.
To qualify for N or K competences, the applicant must have general technical knowledge through a higher education degree or completed training from
- a university of technology
- the previous three- or four-year technical program at the upper secondary school
- a higher vocational education (YH), or
- other equivalent education.
The training must have taken place within programs of installation technology and buildings energy systems or building technology.
The training requirement can also be met through equivalent training in another country within the European Union or the European Economic Area.
Vocational training as mentioned above is not required for applicants with at least ten years of professional experience in the areas listed below for competences N or K.
To qualify for competence N the applicant shall, after acquiring general technical knowledge, for at least three years have been active in the adjustment and flow measurement and control of the ventilation systems of buildings relevant to competence N.
The applicant for competence N shall also have knowledge of
- buildings' basic indoor climate factors that can affect human health and measurement methods for the indoor climate factors
- heat recovery systems with connection to heat, and tap water as well as its structure, components and regulation
- possible energy efficiency measures in the ventilation system with regards to the indoor environment
To qualify for competence K the applicant shall, after acquiring general technical knowledge, have been professionally active for a total of at least five years. Of this, at least two years shall relate to adjustment and flow measurement and at least three years shall relate to at least two of the following ventilation areas:
- work management
- contract inspection of ventilation system types FT / FTX.
In addition to the competence requirements stated above, the applicant shall have knowledge regarding ventilation and indoor environment as well as energy within the applicable parts of
- The Planning and Building Act (2010:900), the PBL, the Planning and Building Ordinance (2011:338), the PBF, and the regulations and general advice that have been given under these regulations;
- older laws and regulations relating to construction.
In addition to the competence requirements stated above, the applicant shall have knowledge of ventilation and indoor environment as well as energy within the applicable parts of the
- Work Environment Act (SFS 1977:1160) and the Swedish Work Environment Authority's regulations and general advice on the design of the workplace (AFS 2009:2)
- the Ordinance (1985:997) on reporting obligations regarding asbestos in ventilation plants and the Swedish Work Environment Authority's regulations and general advice (AFS 2006:1)
- The National Board of Health and Welfare's general advice on supervision in accordance with the Environmental Code (SOSFS 1999:25)
- Environmental Code (1998:808)
- The Act (2006:985) on energy declaration for buildings
- The Regulation (2006:1592) on energy declaration for buildings
- The National Board of Housing, Building and Planning's regulations and general advice on energy declaration for buildings (BFS 2007:4), and
- The National Board of Housing, Building and Planning's regulations and general advice on contributions to measures against radon in private homes (BFS 2003:1).
In addition to the above requirements for competence N, the applicant for competence K shall also have knowledge of:
- radon measurements and possible measures to reduce radon in buildings
- water and airborne comfort cooling systems and their function, structure, components and control
The applicant must be suitable for the task.
How to get your qualifications or education from another EU or EEA country assessed and validated
Foreign education and professional experience will be assessed and validated by the Swedish Board of Housing, Building and Planning, Boverket, which will then issue a decision on recognition of professional qualifications.
After receiving Boverket's decision on recognition of professional qualifications, the applicant can turn to an appropriate certification body, which examines the other prerequisites for certification.
The application is sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org